Sunday 14 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 8

Was feeling low last night, lying in my tiny cold tent with two busted feet nothing to eat but the emergency honey and rain forecast for the next five days.

I tried to lift myself up with some music. Joni Mitchell is great and will lift you way up high if you are a little bit high already, "and the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses".

But the sun was down and I was about as far from a Chelsea Morning as it was possible to be. So I turned to Blind Willie Johnson, the great old gospel bluesman, and let John the Revelator make a temporary believer out of me. Then the battery ran out of juice.

This morning I woke up up hear the rain pattering on the roof. When it stopped about ten I decided to get up while the going was good and make move.

I packed up my soaking wet tent and got going. And the sun was out. And, despite the forecast, it stayed out and the rest of the day was warm and dry.

It's a long drag from Laggan Locks to Fort William with no place to get food. I got there about five and bought a whole cooked chicken from Morrisons supermarket for £3.68. Now I know how those birds are kept so that they can be brought to market as cheaply as that and I'm
not making any excuses. I just had to have that protein.

Then I got on the West Highland Way and made the long climb out of Fort William and through the forest. I camped by a stream at the edge of the forest ready to cross the larrig in the morning. A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment