Saturday 20 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 15 Evening

I spent a large part of Day 13 and Day 14 laying on my mum's couch with my right foot wrapped in a packet of frozen peas. Most athletes keep a couple of packets of frozen peas in the freezer to treat injuries bacause a packet of frozen peas will mould itself to any body part unlike, for example, a packet of frozen yorkshire puddings.

But today I got up and after porridge and banana packed my bag and headed into Glasgow to take up where I left off.

Today was a run through the greater glasgow/lanarkshire conurbation. Central Glasgow, over the river to the south side, Gorbals, Govanhill, Cathcart, Toryglen, Rutherglen, Cambuslang, Halfway (halfway to where?), Blantyre, Burnbank, Hamilton, Motherwell, Craigneuk, Wishaw, Bogside, Carluke. That's not far short of 25 miles. I really enjoyed this run in the sunshine through the streets of my childhood and youth. These are the places my family comes from, where many of them still live. I'm glad my run included these places. The country isn't knitted from bits and pieces of long distance walking routes.

I'm staying in Carluke tonight at my sister Liz's place.

Tomorrow I'm heading on road toward Peebles and the next day on to Melrose where I can pick up St Cuthbert's Way which will take me on to the Pennine Way starting at Kirk Yetholm.

2 comments:

  1. Frozen peas are good in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ran through Craigneuk - Respect!!

    ReplyDelete