Monday 22 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 17 Morning

A good night's sleep in the tent by the river Tweed and a short bleary-eyed walk took me to the Whistle Stop Cafe and Flower Shop in Innerleithen where I have just finished the Big Breakfast (2 eggs, 2 sausages, double bacon, mushrooms, beans and an malevolent looking circle of black pudding which I left on the plate - and toast and coffee).

The name of the Chinese takeaway opposite is called Happy Days. This, for some reason, touches me and I am close to tears and as happy as I have ever been in my life. Even the evil eye of the black pudding is part of the perfection of the universe.

The lunchtime special here at the Whistle Stop is lentil soup and strawberry cheesecake. I think about cheesecake while I sup my second cup of coffee and listen to Bob Dylan and the relaxed and cheerful chatter of the other patrons.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment