Monday 29 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 24 Evening

I had a lovely evening meal last night of tagliatelle with a mushroom and cream sauce at the Youth Hostel in Dufton. Fanastic. Great company too. Including a couple who are doing Lands End to John O'Groats in instalments. So our paths were crossing about half way.

It had taken me two days to cover the twenty miles from Ashton to Dufton due to getting lost and fogbound etcetera so I was tempted to take to the road this morning just to get some miles done.

But at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to stay on the Pennine Way as being more in the spirit of the thing. Anyway, I'm glad I did. Today was one of the best days so far. Sunshine all day and I was feeling good so most of the 21 miles from Dufton to
Middleton-in-Teesdale were running miles. The terrain was varied, the route clear and some of the scenery stunning. The great glacial gouge of High Cup Nick is just astounding.

I've just had a steak and ale pie with chips and mushy peas in a hotel here and in a minute I'm going to look for the campsite.

I've burned my shoulders by running with my shirt off this afternoon. Otherwise I'm as fit as a fiddle.

1 comment:

  1. I miss you joe, having barbecue ribs at glenn's tomorrow night. But that does not compare to the scenery you just described. any how glad to hear you are doing fine.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete