Thursday 4 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - D day minus 2

I'm on Motherwell now, at my mum's, base camp for the John O'Groats to Lands End run.

I have bought my bus ticket to Thurso. I'll be leaving Glasgow Friday lunchtime and arriving Thurso that evening, having changed buses at Perth and Inverness. I need to check there's a local bus I can take for the final eighteen miles to John O'Groats.

I start the run Saturday morning, 6th of June.

My running bag, the recently purchased Salomon XA 20, is packed (tent, sleeping bag, inflatable sleeping mat, water bag with about 2 litres of water, towel (actually, I cut my favourite lightweight towel In half so only half a towel really), toothbrush, toothpaste, wet wipes, bugspray, Compeed blister patches (as advertised for use with high heels), compass, squeezable plastic bottle of honey, tin of beans and sausages, the tiniest and brightest of headlamps (a gift from Glenn), scissors, needles and thread, safety pins, wallet containing usual stuff (including an unreasonable amount of cash for buying an unreasonable amount of food along the way), change of clothes (1 pair of socks)).

The iPhone will be attached to my belt, safe from the elements in its waterproof Aquapac.

Fully loaded, the bag tips my mum's bathroom scales at 14 pounds. Perfect!

Karola Gajda, in her dual roles of graphic artist and tireless publicist, has been sending me updates of the flyer for The Road to Endorphia which, of course, has to be ready in plenty of time for the start of the Edinburgh Festival.

So everything is moving forward.

I can't wait to start running.

No comments:

Post a Comment