Thursday 25 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 20 Evening

Yesteday afternoon it took me 6 hours to do the 15 miles from Byrness to Bellingham. In Bellingham there was no sit down food to be had after 9. Had to settle for sausage and chips takeaway.

I paid five quid to camp at Demesne Farm campsite and found out next morning it was another 50p for a 6 minute shower. What did I get for my five quid?

Belly Buster breakfast at the Caff in the Library at Bellingham. Followed it with cheesecake and ice cream. It was after noon when I eventually got on the road.

Trekked thirteen and a half miles south to Hadrian's Wall. Hard going with the Belly Buster on board, alternatively soggy or rocky or heathery underfoot, and the route was all chopping and changing. I just couldn't get it going.

At Hadrian's Wall all of that changed. The food was digested, the route was easier to follow and the views were stunning as I ran along the northern frontier of the Roman Empire.

There was nobody else in sight and I felt like a wild Pict having a look around the day after the legionaries went back to Rome.

Nine thirty when I arrived at Greenhead pretty beat. Kitchen closed at the Greenhead Hotel but they managed to put together a big plate of lasagne and veg.

I think there's a campsite in town.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment