Monday 15 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 10 Afternoon

Yesterday afternoon after a long break at Kingshouse I headed across wild Rannoch Moor. It's a long road but it was a good run and by the time I was getting near the end it was about seven thirty and I was trying to decide whether to stop at the free campsite at Victoria Bridge or push on over the hill to Bridge of Orchy.

Then a crackling thunder ripped the sky open and it began to pour down. I picked up the pace for the last mile to Victoria Bridge and put my tent up in a relentless rain.

Everything was wet apart from my sleeping bag and air matress and my shirt and pants. All night I lay still hoping I wouldn't roll over in my sleep and soak my sleeping bag on the wet floor of the tent. I mean the floor was wet, there were little puddles.

But this morning was good. I had managed to stay dry and my feet felt good. I mean really good. Not fixed but definitely on the mend and ready for running.

The rain stayed off for long enough to let me towel dry the inside of the tent and I got going over the hill.

At Bridge of Orchy I decided that the hotel was too posh for breakfast and jogwalked on to Tyndrum where I've just had a mega double bacon cheeseburger with chips, coleslaw and salad at Paddy's Bar. £7.50 - bargain.

It's well into the afternoon now so I better finish my tea and head out to get the miles done.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment