Tuesday 16 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 11 Lunchtime

I had a long break at Paddy's Bar at Tyndrum yesterday but was raring to go when I left at about four in the afternoon. I powered on down past Strathfillan Wigwams without stopping for one of their sausages on a roll. And then through the forest and past the turnoff for Crianlarich and suddenly it was eight in the evening and I had a quick stop for a cup of tea in the bar at Beinglas Farm.

And then further till I reached the broad still waters of Loch Lomond shining like hope. And further still along the loch's wild and rocky west bank till it was ten o'clock and I pitched my tent in an almost flat patch of grass just off the track.

After a dry and comfortable night I rose early this morning to the worst midgie swarming of my life. Thousands of the evil little bastards crawled all over my face and neck and hands as I struck the tent and packed up. If it wasn't for Jungle Formula insect spray I would have been bitten to a pulp.

The midges mostly don't bother you while you are on the move so I hiked the couple of miles to the Inversnaid Hotel and had breakfast out of a tin sitting on a bench.

It has been one of those damp overcast midgie plagued mornings and my energy has been quite low jogwalking through Rowerdennan Forest. There are more people around than I've seen any day so far including, celebrity alert, James Michie off of Taggart strolling through the forest with three of his mates.

It's almost two in the afternoon now and I've just finished the Ben Lomond Burger in the Rowardennan Hotel. Looking outside the sky seems to be clearing and the sun is trying to make its presence felt.

I think I'll have some cheesecake before I make a move though.

2 comments:

  1. Don't let your i-pod/i-phone get wet! See you in a few miles.
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure its New York style cheesecake and none of the soft base business.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete