Wednesday 10 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 5 Morning

I'm lying in bed in a ten bunk room in a hostel on Rose Street in Inverness. The budget can't handle many more guest house stays.

Anyway, yesterday was pretty gruelling. I was determined to get the 34 miles to Inverness put of the way and see the last of the A9/A99. I'm sure it's the on road running which has done my feet in. Yes, this morning the swelling on my left foot is worse and there's painful swelling on the top of my right instep.

Anyway yesterday morning (day 4) after a cooked breakfast at the guesthouse in Tain I bought a 150 gram bar of chocolate and got going around 10am. I just kept plugging away, walking, having brief rests and short running spells and reached Imverness just after 9pm. I was worn out and hungry and felt no shame at all in scoffing a Big Mac Meal.

My feet may both be swollen and sore but everything else is fantastic. After 120 miles in 4 days my resting heart rate is 44 beats a minute and my muscles and joints feel fine.

Today is the start of the Great Glen Way which will take me to Fort William where I can join the West Highland Way, so that means it's mostly off road all the way to Glasgow.

It's 9am now so I'm going to get up and find some breakfast and get the stiffness out of my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment