Sunday 21 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End Day 16 Evening

Altogether a lovely day. I left Carluke at about ten thirty and headed south and east along A-roads towards Peebles and the Scottish Borders.

Quieter roads than yesterday and much more rural. Grazing sheep, cows, some horses, llamas, yep quite a few, and one very clean pig.

Sometimes the road was lined with very old native British trees, sycamore, beech, horse chestnut.

I had started on Weetabix and banana and kept going the thirty miles to Peebles on a tin of beans and sausage and five Mars Bars bought at the Co-op in Carnwath.

Apart from a quick pot of tea at the Nestlers in Newbigging and a twenty minute sleep by the side of the road five miles outside of Peebles it was pretty much all go until I reached there.

I want to try as far as possible to get 35 miles a day so after a takeaway pie and chips eaten on a park bench I left Peebles behind and headed along the Innerleithing Road for another five miles.

I got that done and now I'm in my tent, pitched by the side of the path in a kind of riverside walk. Not a great spot but the best I could find.

There was a feeble attempt at rain there just as it turned dark, but it wasn't very convincing. I hope it's dry again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment