Saturday 6 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 1

Yesterday's travel "challenges" didn't end with missed bus at Buchanan Station. Never mind why or how but I ended up walking in the deep twilight which passes for darkness here along the top edge of Scotland with the Orkneys just across the water to my left.

I would have pitched my tent in a field but they were all occupied by sheep or cows, and in more than one case a fearsome looking bull.

So it wasn't until I found the Stroma View campsite at one thirty in the morning that I got my head down.

This morning I got up late, almost eleven, and after paying the campsite owner, a thoroughly nice chap from Wimbledon by way of Bournemouth, my four quid camping fee I walked the last mile and a quarter into John O'Groats.

On the way I was passed by a couple of dudes in fancy dress on a tandem who had just cycled up from Lands End.

I had a completely insuitable breakfast of fried egg and flat sausage on a roll from the snack bar and then got changed into running gear.

Three and a half hours and seventeen miles later I'm having a decent portion of chicken curry and rice in the Bridge Cafe in Wick.

Once that settles down I hope to do another 18 miles or so before bedtime.

I'm on my way.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe,

    thanks for the update. I also had eggs and bacon for breakfast at TJ's in East Sheen.

    i stayed at Glenn's last night and was in your old room which was my older room. I saw your box!

    Hope you are well.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete