Wednesday 24 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 19 Lunchtime

Injury Update: left foot has been perfect for a few days now except for a recent blister on the sole, right foot is about 95% and getting better, slight sunburn to face, arms and legs - haha.

Getting lost last night meant that I had no food for supper or breakfast. It took me three hours to cross the wild and soggy Northumbrian moors between Chew Green and Byrness so by the time I reached The Filling Station Cafe "The First and Last in England" I was ready for the big breakfast. It's a measure of my hunger that I actually ate the black pudding.

O yeah, I crossed the border into England last night at about 9pm. Where I crossed, the frontier was just a farm gate. There was no guard or customs or anything, this was the middle of nowhere in the Cheviot Hills after all, but the Northumbrian Council must have known I was coming because they had left a note advising me that countryside access legislation is different in England from what it is in Scotland. I think they were referring to my wild camping habits.
Anyway, they ended by wishing me a pleasant day on the hills so thanks for that.

I've just followed the black pudding breakfast with a bit of rather soggy cheesecake. Very soggy place Northumbria. Thank goodness it isn't raining.

Almost 1.30pm and I'm about to stock up with food and water and do the 15 miles between here and Bellingham.

See ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment