Tuesday 30 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 25 Evening

When I mentioned to the campsite owner at Middleton-in-Teesdale that I was going from John O'Groats to Lands End he gave me my four quid back. Result. So that was a nice start to the day.

At the Conduit Cafe where I had breakfast they have a Pennine Way Walkers visitors book. That made for interesting reading. I wrote a few lines including a plug for the blog and the Edinburgh show.

It has been another great day for running. Not as hot as yesterday, more overcast and even drizzly at times, but still great. And I only got lost a couple of times. It was pretty boggy in places but I think I'm getting used to that.

Eighteen miles in and just before seven in the evening I reached the Tan Hill Inn. Remember, the double glazing ad, the highest pub in Britain. I chugged down four Mars Bars instead of stopping for a meal. But the pub was pretty cute and I did have a lovely cup of tea before jogging the last four, mostly downhill, miles into the little village of Keld.

I bought a couple of things at the campsite shop and pitched my tent so I'm all set for the night.

I'm a bit concerned about my progress. This is day 25 and I don't think I'm quite halfway yet. And I'm doing twenty odd miles a day rather than thirty plus. I mean I'm not desperately worried but it would be nice to have a fair amount of breathing space before the Edinburgh Festival starts. Still that's not till August 8th.

Whatever, no worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment