Saturday 27 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End -Day 22 Evening

I started the day in a real Lands-End Here-I-Come kind of a mood. I had a lovely breakfast in the Youth Hostel at Alston in very convivial company. We had a lively discussion about modern sculpture among other things.

I got going about ten thirty and ran along the river the five or so miles down to Garrigill. At eleven fifty I arrived in this tiny settlement where the pub opens only four days a week for five months of the year. As chance would have it, it was ten minutes till opening time so I waited and had a cup of tea. Pretty quiet pub the George and Dragon.

I continued out of Garrigill on towards Cross Fell with some nice uphill running. I managed to lose the path for a while and by the time I found it again I had missed Cross Fell. I know, how can you miss the highest mountain in England outside the Peak District. I just did, OK.

Anyway, I continued along a paved section of the track (hard to get lost) to Little Dun Fell. And then the mist came down like the final curtain. Within minutes visibility was down to yards. This was about six o'clock.

I stayed where I was on the summit of Little Dun Fell for a bit but it didn't look like clearing. Not long after that, by coincidence, one of my breakfast companions happened along. He had just come from the direction I was headed and was able to guide me to the next peak. So I got as far as Great Dun Fell but then the paved section of the track ended and without sight of any other significant landmarks I wasn't getting any further.

About seven thirty I decided to wait it out till morning and pitched the tent right by the track.

I have food and plenty of water and I am warm enough in my sleeping bag.

I'm sure the fog will have cleared by morning and I can head on down to Dufton.

No worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment