Friday 5 June 2009

Joemobility to John O'Groats

I love public transport. For me public transport, or 'joemobility', is one of the wonders of the civilized world. Buses, trains, planes, tube trains, if you don't expect them to come and go at your whim, but just relax and go with the flow, it's a great way to travel. Listening in to other peoples conversations, chatting with strangers, reading, dozing - you can't do all that while your driving. At least not without a certain degree of risk.

But every so often this beautiful organic system will turn round and bite you in the arse.

It happened this morning. Long story short, it took me the biggest chunk of three hours to cover the fifteen miles from Newarthill to Glasgow and I missed the Thurso bus by 20 minutes.

Still, no worries, the lady in the booking office at Buchanan Station charged me £1.50 to rebook me on the bus going two hours later and I'm good to go again.

So I had lunch of a Pie Supper (£3.70) and a rather nice takeaway coffee (£1.20) on sunny Sauchiehall Street while I soaked up the atmosphere and a better than indifferent busker covered some excellent songs.

I'm on the bus now and due in Thurso at 9.45 pm so I suspect I may have to wait until tomorrow to do the last 18 miles to John O'Groats.

Anyway, I'm still on track to start running sometime tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Hope all goes well (glad you remembered the tin opener and spoon, but think how funny (LOL) it would have been if you only noticed when it was too late.

    ReplyDelete