Friday 26 June 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 21 Evening

On the wall in reception at the Youth Hostel in Alston, which is where I staying tonight, there is a big map of Britain and, though I am trying real hard, I cannot convince myself that Alston is anywhere near half way down. Have a look yourself.

After a long run of hot weather today was cooler. Overcast in the morning when I set out from the campsite in Greenhead after a quick Mars Bar breakfast. Then drizzly in the afternoon after a functional lunch of beans, cold from the can.

And Northumberland is soggy enough quite frankly. If Britain was a bed Northumberland would be the wet patch. What a soggy, boggy wet place.

But I'm in Cumbria now and Alston in Cumbria has red squirrels. I even saw one. Then I saw a sign which gave a number to call if you see any grey squirrels. That's right, if you see a grey squirrel you're supposed to grass it up.

When I arrived in Alston at about 6pm after 18 miles of being lost in a bog I had had enough. By the way, have you ever tried to run in a bog? I know, I'm whinging.

Anyway, I went straight into the Cumberland Hotel and, remembering last evening's feast, ordered lasagne. Well it was very nice but with the little side salad and a little roll just NOT BIG ENOUGH. So I followed it with lemon cheesecake and ice cream, again very nice but NOT BIG ENOUGH!

So I'm sitting in the Youth Hostel topping up with chocolate bars

Highlight of the day was the little old lady who ran the campsite in Greenhead. I paid her my four pounds on coins and then as we chatted she started giving it back to me. I mentioned I had come all the way from John O'Groats and she slipped me a quid for that. When I said I
had eaten in the Hotel the night before she made me take another quid back, "because everything is so expensive." Not her campsite, it's not. I had to scarper before she ended up making a loss.

My trekking pants have developed a sweat stain which makes it look as though I have pissed myself. They are in the washing machine right now but it has been an embarrassing couple of days.

I'm looking forward to a night in a comfortable bed. I've ordered porridge and the veggie breakfast for tomorrow morning. I think the Belly Busters might have been slowing me down. Although I'm fairly sure I haven't lost any weight yet.

Later, amigos.

No comments:

Post a Comment