Saturday 18 July 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 43 Evening

The A39 towards Barnstaple (from Kentisbury Grange) twists and turns in and out and up and down through a rolling landscape of patchwork fields and ancient hedgerows. The traffic is light so the road feels safe enough.

I left Kentisbury Grange and it's free-roaming peacocks (honest) at just before ten (slept in) so it was about one thirty when I arrived in Barnstaple and bumped into the Pilton Festival. I turned into the park where it was all happening (juggler, one-man-band, food stalls, craft stalls, people strolling around in character and period costume) and queued up at the hog roast for a hog roll with crackling and stuffing. Then I had a bit of cake and a coffee and got going again.

Between Barnstaple and Bideford the A39 is more of a normal road with a proper white line at the edge and a hard shoulder so I got some speed up and did some hard sustained running. Going over the bridge into Bideford over the river there was pretty cool.

I found a Morrison's on the outskirts of town and had a really nice Lamb curry in the caff there followed by some kind of chocolate cake. I had a second pot of tea while I surreptitiously recharged my iPhone off their electricity.

Then I got on the road again. The road was all narrow and twisty again so I was hoping for a campsite before it got dark and then I saw the sign for the Steart Farm Touring Park. This is definitely the best organised site I've been on in the whole country. There's also a stunning view of the sea and I was only charged four quid for the night. Result. www.steartfarmtouringpark.co.uk

I'm getting closer and closer to Land's End. In fact tomorrow I'll be in Cornwall. It seems like a long time since Caithness.

No comments:

Post a Comment