Saturday 11 July 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 36 Afternoon

It's just before 2.30 and after a couple of hours plodding through
threatening rain I arrive in the sunshine at the Old Smithy Tea
Rooms. My arrival coincides with a rush. A couple of dozen women in
a variety of pink outfits are queueing up for ice cream or consuming
ice cream already acquired. Cancer Awarenes charity walkers calorie
loading for the road ahead. Any one of them has more energy than I
have.

It's a hard slog today. I must have run myself out yesterday. Maybe
this tea and carrot cake will gee me up.

By the way, the back of my right hand has been swollen up for two or
three days now. It seems to have spread from four little insect
bites. Insects want to eat us. They want to poison us and consume
our flesh. And there's another bite on my forehead. It's gone up in
a big lump. And I heard a mole trying to burrow up into the tent last
night. And this morning the tent was covered in slugs.

Right. Better get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment