Wednesday 8 July 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 33 Lunchtime

Yesterday (Day 32) was tough. Another day when I tried to resolve
what I thoght was a calorie deficit by having the big breakfast. This
time at a place called the Roadside Cafe somewhere outside Wigan a
couple of miles beyond my camping spot.

I sat at a tiny table a few yards from the traffic. My breakfast came
in a styrofoam box and my tea in a styrofoam cup. And both were
perfect. Add in two Mars Bars and a Tango to take away and there was
still change out of a fiver.

But my energy wouldn't come back. And then the rain started. I mean
it started. Straight down, heavy, relentless. An it went on like
that till four in the afternoon.

At some point I decided to give Liverpool a body swerve and head down
to Manchester on the Leigh branch of the Bridgewater Canal on the
grounds that Manchester was a) closer and b) further south.

On the way to Manchester I stopped off at Leigh (never again) and
Bridgewater (drank tea in a posh pub while the rain ripped down
oitside).

I planned to take the branch off to Warrington/Runcorn at Manchester
but made the mistake of going all the way into Manchester instead of
taking the fork two miles out of town. So that was four extra miles
plus I was in a big city I didn't know and it was getting dark. It
was quite scary for a while until I found a place to camp which felt
relatively safe round about one in the morning.

By that time I had covered well over thirty miles and I was wiped out.

So a late start this morning (Day 33) and I've only covered a few
miles before stopping at the cute village of Lymm for lunch. Why is
it cute to have the old stocks on display in the middle of the
village? Anyway I've had lunch of a half chicken with chips and veg
followed by chocolate fudge cake and ice cream and I'm still hungry.
Is it the food that's slowing me down? But I need it!

Have to get going soon. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment