Tuesday 14 July 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 39 Evening

Had great fun this morning. Got up early and had a long hot shower and a shave to make sure I got as much mileage out of my eight quid camping fee as possible.

Got off just after seven. I had broken my rules last night by both backtracking and going off route in order to get to the campsite (I thought the rain was going to dump but it never really did) so the first mile or so was spent getting back to where I had left off the night before some 18 miles north of Bristol.

I was excited about getting to Bristol so I started banging down the A38 at a fair old power walk. I was wondering where I was going to find breakfast when I spotted one of those snack vans. Fantastic. Sausage sandwich and a black coffee, please. The lady who ran the van had an England's Glory tracksuit on, 'two world wars and one world cup!' but she changed my Scottish £20 note with the minimum of grumbling.

I don't know what made me order coffee instead of tea but it certainly charged me up. I got another coffee at the next snack van and a Tango at the next from a very cheery Turkish bloke who offered to sell me Stella Artois. Not sure if he was serious.

I really enjoyed the road into Bristol. Nearing the city I spotted the old bridge over on the left and once, through a space in the houses, the old bridge and the new with the Bristol Channel a grey ribbon of water and Wales beyond. Outstanding!

I walked down the Gloucester Road through the north side of the city with all the funky shops and was in the city centre by two in the afternoon.

I bought a waterproof map of the South West from Waterstones for £4.99 and had lunch in the park. Bristol is the first place since York I have actually been before.

My knowledge of the city doesn't extend to the southwest side though so on my way out I got lost in a pretty dodgy looking area. I had to resort to using my compass to get back on track.

The A38 going southwest to Bridgwater is also the road for Bristol International so it was a busy and uncomfortable trek until beyond the airport.

The landscape changed as the Mendip Hills became obvious ahead of me.

It was hard going in the afternoon and soon after seven I saw a sign for camping just south of Redhill. I decided I would stop if the price was right.

Brook Lodge Farm is a dream of a place and the chap who runs it is a prince. And considering the prices in this area so far £6.50 seems fine. We had a lovely chat about this and that and he told me about a French bloke who stopped at the farm a few years ago pulling an organ
from Lands End to John O'Groats. Apparantly this French bloke had organised himself a proper tour and was playing theatres as he went. Now that, I have to google.

There's even a little TV room here in the camping field. I can't seem to get the box to work but I'm sure someone would fix it if I asked. I'm not really bothered.

I've had supper of an all-day-breakfast-in-a-can but I'm still hungry so I'm sure my two remaining Mars Bars will get scoffed shortly.

I figure there's roughly 300 miles between here and Lands End. If I could manage 30 miles a day for the next ten days I would be finished by a week on Saturday.

Now there's a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment