Thursday 9 July 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Day 34 Evening

I'm becoming a real canal traveller. I started on the Leeds Liverpool
Canal then switched to the Bridgewater Canal then at some point I
managed to get onto the Trent and Mersey Canal. Today I turned on to
the Middlewich Branch (at Middlewich) and that took me over to the
Shropshire Union Canal which will take me south to Wolverhampton where
I can change to the Staffordshire and Worcestershire which I'm pretty
sure takes me all the way to Gloucester.

I'm camped in some scrub just off the towpath nine miles south of
Nantwitch, beyond Audlem Locks. In fact looking at the map I'm camped
at the Adderley Locks just north of Market Drayton.

I couldn't find a good wood to camp in. It's all trimmed and proper
fields around here with proper black and white cows.

Amyway, Gloucester is about 105 miles to the south. Three good days
would take me there and Bristol is just one day further and then
you're really in the South West. Despite a really tired day with very
little running I covered 27 miles. I feel as if I'm really getting
there. I'm sure my running mojo's just about to make a comeback too.

A bit earlier I was getting tired and hungry and dehydrated when I
came across a canalside pub at Audlem. This was about nine fifteen.
I stopped to see if they sold chocolate. They didn't so I had a pint
of fresh orange and soda and three packets of plain crisps. I found a
power point for recharging my phone and sat down. The table hadn't
been cleared from an earlier meal and there were four of the biggest
fattest chips I had ever seen just sitting there going to waste. So I
ate them myself. Lovely.

There were a lot of younger people in the pub busy turning lager into
stupidity. I do not miss drinking at all.

I walked till really late and pitched my tent in the dark. It looked
like another cloudless night tonight so I'll wear all my clothes
inside my sleeping bag. No cloud cover makes for a chilly night.

See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment