Sunday 3 May 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - The Coleman Kraz X1

After a scorchingly fast ten miles this morning and a pasta lunch I pitch the tent in the back garden. Even though my construction skills are pretty rusty I manage to put it all together in about eight minutes. It looks great.

I bought the Coleman Kraz X1 early last summer in Tiso in Glasgow's Buchanan Street. It has been a fantastic deal for eighty quid.

It sleeps one person comfortably with room for your gear especially if you're traveling light. And it packs up small and light, weighing in at 1.65kg, or 3.63lbs.

I gladly testify to its remarkable waterproof qualities. It kept me dry through some pretty vicious downpours last year. It's also insect proof which is vital if you're out in the bush in Scotland's midgie season.

Some users of the tent have reported online that it's not so great in the cold. I can imagine that. It is a two skin tent but the outer skin doesn't quite meet the ground so there's a gap. And although the lower part of the inner skin which protects you from the ground is absolutely waterproof, the upper part is just an insect proof mesh. Apparently the wind whistling through that gap can make itself unpleasantly felt.

Having said all that, I used it all through the mixed weather of last year's summer and never spent an uncomfortable night.

And looking at it now I'm thinking about the good memories of last year and the new ones I'll make this year. I can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment