Thursday 2 April 2009

Knowing When Not To Run

Today the second ten miler did not happen. After a stiff and slow start the ten miles in the morning was fine. Then a baked potato, spinach, pasta and cheese, bread and butter lunch was followed by a two hour nap.

But when I woke up I did not feel right at all. My resting heart rate was over 50 but I would have let that go if my left achilles tendon had not been feeling decidedly weird. It hurt, it was swollen and it felt funny when I was walking downstairs. There was a tightness all the way around my leg just above the ankle.

Once I had made the decision not to run I stopped worrying about it. Worry is hard work, and it's all wasted energy. If I was going to rest instead of running then that was going to be good quality rest. I read, I ate food and I watched TV. Now and again I did some gentle stretching.

What I do tomorrow will depend on how my leg feels. Just now it feels as if it has definitely benefited from the rest. I don't believe in sticking too rigidly to a schedule where training is concerned. It's important to listen to your body and to know when not to run.

Anyway, 50 miles over three days ain't bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment