Saturday 18 April 2009

John O'Groats to Lands End - Training Ups and Downs

Last week I ran 130 miles. That's 13 ten mile runs. I ran once on one day, twice on three days, three times on two days and I had one day off. I took the day off before the last day so I was relatively fresh for that last day of running. That was one of the days when I ran three times. I was feeling so good that I ran all three of my runs really fast. I mean each of those three runs might have been faster than any other run that week. I ran hard and fast that day. All in all it was a good week.

This week in five days so far I have run 30 miles. I thought, that's OK, I've been working this week. I'll make it up at the weekend.

I couldn't get out of bed this morning (Saturday). I eventually dragged myself round the corner for a big breakfast just after noon. I had the sausage, egg, bubble, beans, tomato, toast and tea then did some shopping. I got a few things from the nearby Tesco Metro rather than getting the bus to the big Sainsbury's. That was a measure of my lethargy. Another sign of low energy might have been when I was stood in the aisle almost blubbering because they didn't have "proper" porridge.

I got home around two and unpacked my paltry stock of groceries. Then I went upstairs. Without thinking I lay down on the bed. I barely got my shoes off before I fell asleep in my jacket. I woke up at four.

I ran in the rain yesterday morning but this afternoon, after what must be about fourteen hours sleep in all, the sunshine can't tempt me outside. I'm sitting in bed typing this.

Still, my appetite seems to be fine and I'm getting some admin e-mails done. I've organised a second venue for the Edinburgh Festival. Well, I should say Peter Buckley Hill, of PBH's Free Fringe, organised the venue. All I have to do is take him up on the offer. It means I'll now be doing a total of 36 performances of The Road to Endorphia in Edinburgh. I need to update the Fringe Programme listing with the new venue details.

I also need to get photographs done, a press release written, a flyer and poster designed and made print ready. I need to study and plan the route from John O'Groats to Lands End. I need to plan and book transport - how I am I going to get to the top of Scotland? and how am I going to get back from the extreme southwest of England? I need to write a show. I need to write a show that is funny and interesting. And I need to get up off my arse and run upwards of a hundred miles a week for the next three weeks so that I will be fit enough to do the run or the fact that Tesco Metro in Mortlake doesn't have "proper" porridge will be the least of my troubles.

Anyway, in the eternal words of Scarlett O'Hara, I'll think about that tomorrow.

Right now I'm going to get up and have some microwave lasagne with a couple of baked potatoes. Yeah, the appetite is still working.

No comments:

Post a Comment