Friday 3 April 2009

Friday Morning Ten Miles Richmond Park

Ten miles without a twinge. A really sweet run. Blowing out the second ten miler yesterday was the right thing to do.

As regards my readiness for the John O'Groats to Lands End run I'm not too worried about my fitness. I'm really confident about my cardiovascular fitness. Even running twenty miles a day my resting heart rate on waking is usually in the low to mid forties. I may have the face of an old fart but I have the heart and lungs of a young god. A pagan god of course. But not Apollo. Maybe Dionysus. Yeah, Dionysus drunk on endorphins.

And I've never really had any problems with my joints. Never any lower back pain or trouble with hips or knees. And problems with my achilles tendons have been episodic rather than chronic. And it has always been pretty obvious what has caused the problem. Usually increasing mileage by silly amounts. Or the time recently when I ran almost thirty miles on roads in those beautiful Inov8 shoes which were meant for soggy cross country conditions.

But now, even after showering and eating and everything has had a chance to stiffen up there isn't a whisper from that left achilles tendon.

So I'm feeling good. I've just had a couple of baked potatoes and spinach cannelloni. Time for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment