Monday 30 March 2009

Hard Week Easy Week Training and Runner's High

OK. So the week before last I managed 120 miles in a two-ten-milers-a-day-for-six-days deal. Then after a weekend off I did six ten milers over six days making a 60 mile week. That does makes sense as a kind of hard week/easy week strategy. But it also means that this week is due to be a hard week. I've had Sunday and Monday off (I really believe in rest and recovery) so I reckon it's time to do two ten milers a day for six days again.

Now when I did that last time I was having a week off work. This week I'm working, albeit part time. However, if I set the alarm for six and do an early ten I should be ready for another ten by the time I finish work at 1 pm. That sounds easy if you type it real fast.

No worries. I'll just float along an a raft of endorphins.

Speaking of which, I read a really good article this evening about a recent (last year) experiment which confirmed for the first time that endurance running leaves the brain awash with endorphins.

There has been speculation for some time that this was the case but no practical scientific confirmation.

It had been argued by some that the sense of wellbeing experienced after a long run was a subjective feeling, perhaps the result of the satisfaction of a goal achieved. Having experienced runner's high on a regular basis myself I was pretty sure that the powerful feeling of elation had to be the result of a biochemical imperative.

Now that has been confirmed. Endorphia is a real place.

No comments:

Post a Comment